Effective date: January 25, 2019
If you are a resident of the European Union ("EU"), United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Iceland, you may have additional rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (the "GDPR") with respect to your Personal Data. Please refer to our GDPR Privacy Notice for EU Residents for more details.
- MailTime App: MailTime App is an open and mobile messenger built with email technology, available in iOS and Android and can be downloaded from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. For more information, please refer to https://mailtime.com/.
- Measurable AI (“MAI”): MAI is an enterprise facing website-based data dashboard platform available at https://measurable.ai/, which enables its subscribers to visualize market/industry trends and consumer/business insights.
What Information does MailTime Collect?
Information You Provide to Us:
We receive and store any information (including Personal Data about you) you knowingly provide to us. For example, when you register for the Services, we ask you for information that enables us to provide the Services, and we may require you to provide certain information, such as contact information (e.g. your name, username, password, and email address). Certain information may be required to register with us or to take advantage of some of our features.
For another example, you may interact with our Services by posting user content, such as comments, posts, or other feedback you submit publically, which can include Personal Data if you include Personal Data in such content.
We may communicate with you if you’ve provided us the means to do so. For example, we may send you promotional email offers about our Services or email you about your use of the Services. Also, we may receive a confirmation when you open an email from us. This confirmation helps us make our communications with you more interesting and improve our services. If you do not want to receive communications from us, please indicate your preference by “unsubscribe” in the email, or sending an email to MailTime to request. We may also use such data you provided to us to operate or improve the Service, to customize the Services for you, or to develop anonymized data products.
Collected from Connected Email Accounts:
When you connect your email accounts to the MailTime App, with your permission at sign-up or use of the MailTime App, you authorize us to access and process email messages in your connected email accounts in order to provide the Services to you, and we may collect Personal Information including without limitation the following:
- your first and last name
- email address
- third-party account credentials (for example, your log-in credentials for Gmail or other third party email accounts).
- Third Party Account Information (as explained below)
- your email address;
- commercial, transactional, relationship and other email messages that are sent to your email account or you sent out from your email account;
- email meta data, including sender’s name, recipient’s name, subject line, email time chop, email contents and email attachments;
- and/or email contact list.
The information we receive will depend on the policies and your account settings with the third party services.
Information Collected Automatically:
Whenever you interact with our Services, we automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser or device, which may include, but not limited to, your IP address, geolocation data, device identification (such as product model, operating system and the device identifier or “UDID”), “cookie” information, the type of browser and/or device you’re using to access our Services, and the page or feature you requested. If you do not want us to collect or use your location, you should turn off the location services for the application located in the settings on your mobile device or within the application. If you choose not to share your location information, then certain features of our Services may be limited or unavailable.
We may use this data to customize content for you that we think you might like, based on your usage patterns. We may also use it to improve the Services – for example, this data can tell us how often users use a particular feature of the Services, and we can use that knowledge to make the Services interesting to as many users as possible and develop anonymized data products.
How will MailTime Use Any of the Personal Information it Receives?
We process Personal Data to operate, improve, understand and personalize our Services. For example, we use Personal Data to:
- Provide services, such as to parse your emails and deliver emails in conversational view;
- Send email push notifications, and show email sender’s and receiver’s names;
- Provide support and assistance for the Services;
- Communicate with you about the Services;
- Contact you about Service announcements, updates or offers;
- Meet contract or legal obligations;
- Respond to user inquiries;
- Fulfill user requests;
- Comply with our legal or contractual obligations;
- Resolve disputes;
- Enforce our Terms of Service;
- analyze how you use the Services and to develop anonymized data products or other new
- services, features or applications, such as the MAI products described below.
Big Data Products:
We use information collected through your connected email accounts to create aggregated and anonymized consumer insights reports, so as to develop analytics and profiling for business intelligence. For example, we scan and identify purchase receipts from your email accounts connected to the MailTime App, and then transforms these aggregated and anonymized data into consumer insights reports for our MAI products.
- The purpose of MAI is to create aggregate and anonymized reports so that we and our MAI subscribers can better understand market and industry trends and gain consumer and other business insights.
- We never disclose aggregated and anonymized information to our MAI subscribers in a manner that would identify you as an individual person.
- We also prohibit all MAI subscribers from attempting to re-identify you as an individual person or use the information we provide for any purpose other than creating aggregate and anonymized reports and understanding commerce trends.
- e endeavor to only include commercial/transactional email messages in MAI. Examples of such email messages include emails that you receive from businesses and merchants about purchase e- receipts, subscriptions,confirmations, e-bills, and the like.
- We are not interested in personal correspondence. The data we retain is only that identified as commercial/transactional emails, and will be de-identified and anonymized before being included in our MAI products.
OPT OUT: You may opt out of sharing information with our big data products (including MAI) at any time by going to https://mailtime.com/app/optout/. You can continue to use the MailTime App services with no degradation to your experience.
About Gmail Users:
The way we can use the information we receive from your connected email accounts is also subject to the policies imposed by your email service providers and your account settings with them. As you may know, Google recently implemented an updated Google API Services: User Data Policy (https://developers.google.com/terms/api-services-user-data-policy, the “Google API Policy”), which restricts the use of data obtained from certain restricted Gmail APIs, as well as data aggregated, anonymized, or derived from them. In order to comply with the Google Policy, we decide not to include any data that we obtained from those restricted Gmail APIs in our big data products (including MAI). If you have any questions, or would like to learn more about this, please feel free to reach out at email@example.com.
Will MailTime Share Any of the Personal Information it Receives?
We do not rent or sell your Personal Information in personally identifiable form to anyone, except as expressly provided below. We may share your Personal Information with third parties as described in this section:
Information that’s been de-identified. We may de-identify your Personal Information so that you are not identified as an individual, and use such de-identified information to develop anonymized data products or provide such de-identified information to our partners. We may also provide aggregate usage information to our partners (or allow partners to collect that information from you), who may use such information to understand how often and in what ways people use our Services, so that they, too, can provide you with an optimal online experience. However, we never disclose aggregate usage or de-identified information to a partner (or allow a partner to collect such information) in a manner that would identify you as an individual person. We may collect, use, develop, transfer, disclose, or share de-identified information, including anonymized data products, for any business purpose of MailTime. If we do share such anonymized data products with our partners, all your Personal Information will be removed or obfuscated prior to any such sharing. If we do combine de-identified information with your Personal Information, the combined information will be treated as Personal Information for as long as it remains combined.
In order to comply with the Google Policy, we will only use the data that we obtained from the restricted Gmail APIs for the specific “Limited Uses” as permitted by the Google Policy.
Agents: We employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and need to share your information with them to provide products or services to you; for example, we may use a payment processing MailTime to receive and process your credit card transactions for us. Unless we tell you differently, our agents do not have any right to use the Personal Information we share with them beyond what is necessary to assist us.
User Profiles and Submissions: Certain user profile information, such as your name, location, or image content that such user has uploaded to the Services, may be displayed to other users to facilitate user interaction within the Services or address your request for our services. Please remember that any content you upload to your public user profile, along with any Personal Information or content that you voluntarily disclose online in a manner other users can view (on discussion boards, in messages and chat areas, etc.) becomes publicly available, and can be collected and used by anyone. Your user name may also be displayed to other users if and when you send comments or upload images through the Services and other users can contact you through comments other means allowed by the functionality of the Services.
Business Transfers: We may choose to buy or sell assets, and may share and/or transfer customer information in connection with the evaluation of and entry into such transactions. Also, if we (or our assets) are acquired, or if we go out of business, enter bankruptcy, or go through some other change of control, Personal Information could be one of the assets transferred to or acquired by a third party.
Is Personal Information about me secure?
You must prevent unauthorized access to your email accounts associated with our Services and Personal Information by selecting and protecting your third party credentials, such password and/or other sign-on mechanism, appropriately and limiting access to your computer or device and browser by signing off after you have finished accessing your email accounts in the Services.
We seek to protect Personal Data using appropriate technical and organizational measures based on the type of Personal Information and applicable processing activity. For example, all Personal Information is transferred via Transport Layer Security (TLS) technology and stored encrypted at rest using AES-256 encryption. All Personal Information stored on our Services is hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure, which undergo various third-party independent audits on a regular basis, covering compliance controls for its data centers, infrastructure, and operations. This includes SOC 2 certification and ISO 27001 certification.
We endeavor to protect the privacy of your email accounts and other Personal Information we hold in our records by reasonable data security measures in the similar industry, but unfortunately, we cannot guarantee complete security. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time.
How long does MailTime retain my Personal Information?
We retain Personal Data about you for as long as you have an open account with us or as otherwise necessary to provide you Services. In some cases we retain Personal Data for longer, if doing so is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule or regulation. Afterwards, we retain some information in an aggregated and anonymized form not in a way that would identify you personally. If you want to close your account, please send us a clear written request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to “What Choices do I have?” below for more information regarding how to delete your Personal Information.
What Personal Information can I access?
Through the settings provided by the Services, you may access, and, in some cases, edit or delete the following information you’ve provided to us:
third party account credentials
The information you can view, update, and delete may change as the Services change. If you have any questions about viewing or updating information we have on file about you, please contact us at email@example.com.
California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice identifying the categories of Personal Information which we share with our affiliates and/or third parties for marketing purposes, and providing contact information for such affiliates and/or third parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What choices do I have?
You can always opt not to disclose information to us, but keep in mind some information may be needed to register with us or to take advantage of some of our features.
You may be able to add, update, or delete information as explained above. When you update information, however, we may maintain a copy of the unrevised information in our records.
Please note that uninstalling the MailTime application from your mobile device does not delete your Personal Information we hold in our records. If you want to disassociate your email accounts from our Services and delete the Personal Information, you should request such deletion by sending a clear written request to us at email@example.com. Some information may remain in our records after the deletion, but only in a way that would not identify you personally. We may use any aggregated data derived from or incorporating your Personal Information after you update or delete it, but not in a manner that would identify you personally.
What if I have questions about this policy?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding our privacy policies, please send us a detailed message to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will try to resolve your concerns.
GDPR Privacy Notice for EU Residents
If you are a resident of the European Union (“EU”), United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Iceland, you may have additional rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) with respect to your Personal Data, as outlined below.
For this GDPR Privacy Notice, we use the terms “Personal Data” and “processing” as they are defined in the GDPR, but “Personal Data” generally means information that can be used to individually identify a person, and “processing” generally covers actions that can be performed in connection with data such as collection, use, storage and disclosure. Company will be the controller of your Personal Data processed in connection with the Services.
What Personal Data Do We Collect From You?
We collect Personal Data about you when you provide such information directly to us, when third parties such as our business partners or service providers provide us with Personal Data about you, or when Personal Data about you is automatically collected in connection with your use of our Services.
Information we collect directly from you: We receive Personal Data directly from you when you provide us with such Personal Data, including without limitation the following:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Email data, for example, email metadata including sender’s name, recipient’s name, subject line, email time chop, email contents and email attachments
- User content, for example, comments, posts, or other feedback you submit publically (which can include Personal Data if you include Personal Data in such content)
Information we receive from third party sources: Some third parties such as Gmail, Yahoo Mail, iCloud provide us with Personal Data about you, such as the following:
- Account information for third party services: If you interact with a third party service when using our Services, such as if you use a third party service to log-in to our Services (e.g., Google Gmail), the third party service will send us information about you, such as information from your email meta data, if the third party service and your account settings allow such sharing. The information we receive will depend on the policies and your account settings with the third party service.
- Information from our advertising partners: We receive information about you from some of our service providers who assist us with marketing or promotional services related to how you interact with our websites, applications, products, services, advertisements or communications.
Information we automatically collect when you use our Services: Some Personal Data is automatically collected when you use our Services, such as the following:
- IP address
- Device identifiers
- Location information (e.g. IP address, zip code)
- System log data
- Usage information
- Cookies and other tracking technologies (e.g. web beacons, pixel tags, SDKs, etc.)
How Do We Use Your Personal Data?
We process Personal Data to operate, improve, understand and personalize our Services. For example, we use Personal Data to:
- Provide services, such as to parse your emails and deliver emails in conversational view
- Send email push notifications, and show email sender’s and receiver’s names
- Provide support and assistance for the Services
- Communicate with you about the Services
- Contact you about Service announcements, updates or offers
- Meet contract or legal obligations
- Respond to user inquiries
- Fulfill user requests
- Comply with our legal or contractual obligations
- Resolve disputes
- Enforce our Terms of Service
We also process Personal Data to create aggregated and anonymized consumer insights reports (“Consumer Insight Reports”), so as to develop analytics and profiling for business intelligence. We never disclose aggregated or de-identified information to a partner (or allow a partner to collect such information) in a manner that would identify you as an individual person.
We will only process your Personal Data if we have a lawful basis for doing so. Lawful bases for processing include consent, contractual necessity and our “legitimate interests” or the legitimate interest of others, as further described below.
- Contractual Necessity: We process the following categories of Personal Data as a matter of “contractual necessity”, meaning that we need to process the data to perform under our Terms of Service with you, which enables us to provide you with the Services. When we process data due to contractual necessity, failure to provide such Personal Data will result in your inability to use some or all portions of the Services that require such data.
- Email address
- Legitimate Interest: We process the following categories of Personal Data when we believe it furthers the legitimate interest of us or third parties.
- First and last name
- Email address
- Email meta data
- User content
- IP address
- Device identifiers
- Location information
- System log data
- Operation and improvement of our business, products and services
- Provision and marketing of our products and services
- Provision of customer support and responding to customer requests
- Consent: In some cases (including the following cases), we process Personal Data based on the consent you expressly grant to us at the time we collect such data. When we process Personal Data based on your consent, it will be expressly indicated to you at the point and time of collection.
- Development of the Consumer Insights Reports
- Provision of the email parsing and conversion of emails into conversational view, in order to provide our products and services to you.
- Other Processing Grounds: From time to time we may also need to process Personal Data to comply with a legal obligation, if it is necessary to protect the vital interests of you or other data subjects, or if it is necessary for a task carried out in the public interest.
How and With Whom Do We Share Your Data?
- Fraud prevention service providers
- Hosting service providers
- Telecommunications service providers
We also share Personal Data when necessary to complete a transaction initiated or authorized by you or provide you with a product or service you have requested. In addition to those set forth above, these parties also include:
- Other users (where you post information publicly or as otherwise necessary to effect a transaction initiated or authorized by you through the Services)
- Social media services (if you interact with them through your use of the Services)
- Third party business partners who you access through the Services
- Other parties authorized by you
We also share Personal Data when we believe it is necessary to:
- Comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies
- Protect us, our business or our users, for example to enforce our terms of service, prevent spam or other unwanted communications and investigate or protect against fraud
- Maintain the security of our products and services
We also share information with third parties when you give us consent to do so.
Last, we share Personal Data with our affiliates or other members of our corporate family. Furthermore, if we choose to buy or sell assets, user information is typically one of the transferred business assets. Moreover, if we, or substantially all of our assets, were acquired, or if we go out of business or enter bankruptcy, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred or acquired by a third party, and we would share Personal Data with the party that is acquiring our assets. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of us or our assets may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this policy.
How Long Do We Retain Your Personal Data?
We retain Personal Data about you for as long as you have an open account with us. In some cases we retain Personal Data for longer, if doing so is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule or regulation. Afterwards, we retain some information in a depersonalized or aggregated form but not in a way that would identify you personally.
What Security Measures Do We Use?
We seek to protect Personal Data using appropriate technical and organizational measures based on the type of Personal Data and applicable processing activity. For example, All Personal Data is transferred via Transport Layer Security (TLS) technology and stored encrypted at rest using AES-256 encryption. All Personal Data is stored on Benchling is hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure, which undergo various third-party independent audits on a regular basis, covering compliance controls for its data centers, infrastructure, and operations. This includes SOC 2 certification and ISO 27001 certification.
Personal Data of Children:
What Rights Do You Have Regarding Your Personal Data?
You have certain rights with respect to your Personal Data, including those set forth below. For more information about these rights, or to submit a request, please email email@example.com . Please note that in some circumstances, we may not be able to fully comply with your request, such as if it is frivolous or extremely impractical, if it jeopardizes the rights of others, or if it is not required by law, but in those circumstances, we will still respond to notify you of such a decision. In some cases, we may also need to you to provide us with additional information, which may include Personal Data, if necessary to verify your identity and the nature of your request.
- Access: You can request more information about the Personal Data we hold about you and request a copy of such Personal Data. You can also access certain of your Personal Data by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rectification: If you believe that any Personal Data we are holding about you is incorrect or incomplete, you can request that we correct or supplement such data. You can correct some of this information directly by sending us an email at email@example.com.
- Erasure: You can request that we erase some or all of your Personal Data from our systems.
- Withdrawal of Consent: If we are processing your Personal Data based on your consent (as indicated at the time of collection of such data), you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note, however, that if you exercise this right, you may have to then provide express consent on a case-by-case basis for the use or disclosure of certain of your Personal Data, if such use or disclosure is necessary to enable you to utilize some or all of our Services.
- Portability: You can ask for a copy of your Personal Data in a machine-readable format. You can also request that we transmit the data to another controller where technically feasible.
- Objection: You can contact us to let us know that you object to the further use or disclosure of your Personal Data for certain purposes, such as for direct marketing purposes.
- Restriction of Processing: You can ask us to restrict further processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to File Complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint about Company’s practices with respect to your Personal Data with the supervisory authority of your country or EU Member State.
Transfers of Personal Data:
The Services are hosted and operated in the United States (“U.S.”) through Company and its service providers, and if you do not reside in the U.S., laws in the U.S. may differ from the laws where you reside. By using the Services, you acknowledge that any Personal Data about you, regardless of whether provided by you or obtained from a third party, is being provided to Company in the U.S. and will be hosted on U.S. servers, and you authorize Company to transfer, store and process your information to and in the U.S., and possibly other countries. You hereby consent to the transfer of your data to the U.S. as set forth herein.
Company is committed to the Principles of the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection and use of Personal Data transferred from the EU. These Principles are (1) notice, (2) consent, (3) accountability for onward transfer, (4) security, (5) data integrity and purpose limitation, (6) access and (7) recourse, enforcement and liability with respect to all Personal Data received from within the EU in reliance on the Privacy Shield. The Privacy Shield Principles require that we remain potentially liable if any third party processing Personal Data on our behalf fails to comply with these Privacy Shield Principles (except to the extent we are not responsible for the event giving rise to any alleged damage). Company’s compliance with the Privacy Shield is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. For more information about the Privacy Shield Program, please visit www.privacyshield.gov.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns relating to the Privacy Shield. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your Privacy Shield-related complaint from us, or if we have not resolved your complaint, you may also resolve a Privacy Shield-related complaint through JAMS, an alternative dispute resolution provider located in the United States. You can visit https://www.jamsadr.com/file-an-eu-us-privacy-shield-or-safe-harbor-claim for more information or to file a complaint, at no cost to you. Under certain conditions, you may also be entitled to invoke binding arbitration for complaints not resolved by other means.
What If You Have Questions Regarding Your Personal Data?
If you have any questions about this GDPR Privacy Notice or our data practices generally, please contact us using the following information:
Physical address: 118 Wai Yip Street, Kwun Tong, Hong Kong
Email address for contact: email@example.com
Designated representative and contact information
Tel.: +49 (0) 40 99999 – 3430
Mob.: +49 (0) 172 918 22 22
Data Protection Officer and contact information
Carson Ip, firstname.lastname@example.org